Deadly Levels Of Carbon Monoxide Found At Hippodrome
The spotlight is on this Waterloo venue after a recent monster truck rally caused nearly 80 people to go to the hospital.
We previously reported that on the evening of Saturday, February 12th, the National Cattle Congress hosted a monster truck event called Waterloo IA Monster Truck Chaos.
Several hours after the event started, in the late evening Waterloo Fire Rescue crews were spotted arriving at the Hippodrome, according to initial reports from KWWL.
Black Hawk County Emergency Management Office officials posted on their Facebook page the next day, a warning to those who had attended the event.
"Anyone that was in attendance to the monster truck show on Saturday, Feb. 12th at the Hippodrome, please monitor yourself & others you attended with; family, friends, & children for signs and symptoms of Carbon Monixide poisoning."
The most recent reports have found that exactly 77 individuals who had attended the Saturday evening monster truck rally were confirmed to have carbon monoxide poisoning, according to KWWL.
Hospitals all across the Cedar Valley admitted patients over the course of the next few days who had been to the event. Towards the end of the show, reports claimed that attendees were showing signs of carbon monoxide poisoning such as vomiting and lightheadedness.
Officials are claiming that the Waterloo firefighters on-site discovered "deadly" levels of carbon monoxide following the event. Typically, if about 50 parts per million of the odorless, flammable gas is detected that usually calls for an evacuation.
314 ppm was detected inside the Hippodrome that evening, according to reports.
In a report done by KWWL, Battalion Chief Ben Petersen claimed crews detected carbon monoxide levels to be more than 182 ppm on the ground level and 232 ppm in the women's bathroom.
According to the Mayo Clinic, the most common symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are dull headaches, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.
If you or someone you know is exhibiting these symptoms after attending the event, you are encouraged to call 9-1-1 or go to your local hospital.
We will continue to keep you updated as the story continues to develop.
Companies Based in Iowa
Snake Alley in Burlington, IA