Local Law Enforcement Joins National Prescription Drug Take Back Day This Saturday (10/29)
Just like we protect our kids while they are out trick-or-treating or having fun with friends; we need to understand that protection starts at home. The biggest danger could be inside your medicine cabinet.
Be a part of the solution for drug abuse in children and teens, as area law enforcement agencies are participating in the Drug Enforcement Administration’s National Prescription Drug Take Back Day. This event will be held from 10am to 2pm on Saturday, October 29th.
Unfortunately, Dubuque is no stranger to news of overdose deaths involving heroin and other opioids. Just last year, a Dubuque man was sentenced to 35 years for selling opioids that caused three deaths. National Prescription Drug Take Back Day is aimed at preventing medication misuse and opioid addition. And your support could keep these unused prescriptions off the street.
According to an article from the Telegraph Herald local agencies and sites will be involved in the event. These include:
- Dubuque Drug Task Force -- Dubuque County Emergency Responder Training Facility, 14928 Public Safety Way.
- Grant County Sheriff’s Department -- Grant County Fairgrounds, 916 E. Elm St. in Lancaster, Wis. (8am to 2 pm)
- Jackson County Sheriff’s Department -- Maquoketa Police Department, 102 S. Niagara St. in Maquoketa, Iowa;
- Bellevue Police Department, 106 N. Third St. in Bellevue, Iowa; Sabula City Hall, 411 Broad St. in Sabula, Iowa.
In addition, local law enforcement agencies have drop boxes available for medication disposal at the following locations:
- Dickeyville Police Department -- 500 East Ave. in Dickeyville, Wis. (Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm)
- Fennimore Police Department -- 860 Lincoln Ave. in Fennimore, Wis., (Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- Lancaster Police Department -- 222 S. Madison St. in Lancaster, Wis. (drop box available 24 hours)
- Muscoda Police Department -- 206 N. Wisconsin Ave. in Muscoda, Wis. (Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm)
- Platteville Police Department -- 165 N. Fourth St. in Platteville, Wis. (drop box available 24 hours)